The Shree Gomanteshwar Devasthan temple is situated at Brahmapur near Ela in Old Goa. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva in the name of Gomanteshwar or Goveshwar and is known to have been a colony of the Brahmins in the ancient times. Sadly this temple is in ruins and the present structure is simple with a tiled roof.
The Gomanteshwar temple is known to have been built in the 14th century by Madhava Mantri, the minister of the Vijaynagar Empire. Mahadev was worshipped during the Kadamba rule in Goa. The temple also has a tank known as the Madan Tirtha Goraksha Math which is named after him.
In the 16th century, the Portuguese destroyed the temple of Gomanteshwar and built the church. However in the year 1947 the temple was again re-built. The main festival celebrated at the temple with great devotion and religious fervour is the birthday of Lord Shiva known as Mahashivratri.