The military or the British cemetery was built in Goa in 1802 by the British. It is considered to be more than 180 years old and is the only reminder of the British occupation of the territory of Goa during the Napoleonic period.
During the Napoleonic wars from 1799 to 1813, the British military cemetery was built to serve the purpose of a British garrison of Rs.10, 000 men who were stationed at Fort Cabo to prevent Goa from falling into French hands.
The cemetery has 56 gravestones and 47 tombstones, the earliest that date to 1808 and the last to 1912. It can be reached by taking the road connecting the National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) with the Raj Bhawan.
Near the British cemetery one can visit the Cabo Raj Bhavan also known as the Governor's Palace, which is the official residence of the governor of Goa. Also one can visit the Our Lady of Cabo church that is situated nearby.