Aldona is a pleasant village situated in the Bardez taluka. It is well known for the St. Thomas church. The Church of St. Thomas remains an awe inspiring presence in the village of Aldona (estimated population 7000). It was built in 1596 on a high plateau on the banks of the Mapusa River. A flight of broad steps cut into a cliff and lead to an open plain that surrounds the grand white building.
Inside, the Church is ornately decorated by symbolic biblical murals and grand statues. The treasures of the church are the subject of a village legend. At one time, the statues of the church were strung with jewellery by villagers as thanks for prayers answered. But Churches were often robbed of these jewels.
The church commemorates the day of Dia Dos Ladroes in June. It is known that on 12th June 1741 some women in the farm spotted a gang of desperados in wee hours who were trying to attack the church. After alerting the villagers by tolling the church bell in order to avoid any delay these women took some agricultural implements and attacked them. Some of the gang got drowned while others ran for their life. However the Portuguese government was so proud of their bravery that a special event was hoisted.