Valpoi is a village situated in the Sattari taluka that has rocky hills and a dense forest. It gets its name from two words Val and Poi out of which Val means river and Poi means other side.
Valpoi is famous as the Police Training Service (PTS) Centre of Goa is situated here. During the Portuguese rule it was a military camp and in 1962 it was transformed into a Police Training School. There is also the Forest Training School in Valpoi which is the only school in Goa that caters to the demands of the forest guards and trains them to safeguard the natural resources of Goa.
The Valpoi village has a hunting ground called Rede Ghati which is a favourite hunting spot, a market known as Mangal Bazar and it also has a ruins fort. This fort that lies in ruins is a historical fort known as the Nanus fort of the seventeenth century that was snatched by the Portuguese after it was built by Shivaji.
The villagers of Valpoi enjoy a lot of football and cricket and there is also a sports club here known as the Diamond Sports Club which even has a gymkhana. Water all over the village of Valpoi is supplied by the Dhabos water plant. There is also a bridge in the village of Valpoi that is considered a tourist spot which was built in 1932. It is known as the Veluz Nagargaon Bridge.
There are four temples in Valpoi out of which the Maruti temple is known to be the oldest. Festivals such as the Sarvajanik Ganeshotsava, Ramanavami and Holi are celebrated. There are also five mosques found in the village. In the village of Brahma Carambolim that is situated at around 7 kms from Valpoi one can see the Brahma temple that has a shrine belonging to the 5th century A.D. which is considered to be one of the few temples found in India that is dedicated to Lord Brahma.