The convent and church of St. Francis of Assisi is situated at Old Goa. Originally this church and surrounded convent was founded by Eight Franciscan, who arrived in the year 1517, during the Portuguese rule. With their hard effort first they constructed a little chapel and latter in the year 1661, they transform the chapel into church on the same place.
Se Cathedral is linked to the convent and the church of St. Francis of Assisi by the former place of Archbishop, which is lying on the west side of Se Cathedral. This structure is built of laterite blocks and is lime -plastered. Face of the church is towards west, there is a nave surrounded by three small chapels each side, a choir, two sub altars and a main altar in center. Belfry and a sacristy is on the north of main altar, today which you see the houses of Archaeological Museum, was actually a convent, forming annexure to the church.
Exhibits at the museum include prehistoric items from a distant tribal past as also reminders of Goa Dourada, Golden Goa, also known as the 'Pearl of the Orient' or 'Rome of the East' during its heyday. It was the concentration of magnificent churches, symbol of a powerful conquering presence, which justified this last title.
The St. Francis of Assisi church has been designed by the Tuscan order; the main entrance has been made in Manuline style, main altar is designed in Baroque with Corinthian features. The Chapels and surrounded gallery on top is separated by the internal buttress walls. The statue of Our Lady of Miracles, which was brought from Jaffna in Sri Lanka, is standing in a niche on the façade. A wooden statue of St. Francis of Assisi is symbolizing the significant of the Franciscan.
A huge statue of St. Francis of Assisi and the statue of Jesus on the cross which is equally huge lies in the main altar above tabernacle, which was used for displaying holy sacrament, on the both side of main altars paintings are displayed on woods explaining the life of St. Francis of Assisi.
Address: John - Panjim