The St. Augustine Church is one of the oldest churches built in Goa by 12 Augustian monks who arrived in Goa on 3rd September 1572. The construction of the church was completed in 1602 AD.
Sadly, this church and the adjoining convent are in ruins due to the ban on religious orders passed by the Portuguese government. The only significant remnant is the Bell tower that too without the bell. Even the church bell was initially shifted to Fort Aguada Lighthouse and later found a permanent place in the Church of Immaculate Conception in Panaji where it is working till date.
The other churches of architectural magnificence and antiquity in Goa include the St. Cajetan Church, Lady of the Mount of Carmel Church, St. Anthony’s church, Reis Magos church, Church of St. Alex, St. Anne’s church etc.