Cabo de Rama is situated 16 km north of Agonda beach in the coast road at the south end of Colva Bay. Also known as The Cape of Rama, it takes its name from the Hindu epic Ramayana hero, Lord Rama as according the Hindu belief Lord Rama during his exile from Ayodhya stayed here.
The cape is crowned by a fort which was originally a Hindu structure and rebuilt by the Portuguese in 1763 after acquiring it from the Maratha ruler of Sonda. It had 21 guns for its defense, a chapel, military barracks and quarters for the use of the commandant under the Portuguese.
Also a well was there within the fort and from one of the two springs that it had in its vicinity, cold and hot water used to emerge from two different spouts. It was used as a prison till 1955 after it was taken over by the British from 1792 to 1813. The main entrance has been restored and yellow washed but the fort now lies in ruins.