The Safa Shahouri Masjid, the biggest and most famous of the 27 mosques in Ponda taluka was built in 1560 by Ibrahim Adilshan of Bijapur. Adjacent to the Mosque is a well-constructed masonry tank with small chambers with 'meharab' designs.
The mosque and the tank were formerly surrounded by an extensive garden with many fountains. They were destroyed during the Portuguese rule.
The two major festivals Id-Ul-Fitr and Id-Ul-Zuha are celebrated at this mosque with great pomp and are attended by a large number of people.