The Viceroy's Arch erected in 1599 by Viceroy Francisco da Gama was once the main street for entering Old Goa. It was built as a memorial to the achievements of Vasco da Gama, the famous explorer.
Francisco da Gama was the great grand son of Vasco da Gama and was the governor of Goa from 1597 to 1600. In 1954 the arch was reconstructed with Vasco da Gama's statue on the river side and the statue of St. Catherine on the other side.
A road leads to the Mandovi River from the St. Cajetan Church and passes through the Viceroy's Arch. It is also known to have been one of the gates of the Adil Shah Palace and is made of laterite.